As the holiday’s approach, keep your family and home safe by following these tips.
- Keep your Christmas tree watered and away from heat sources.
- Be sure you are using indoor lights indoors and outdoor lights outdoors.
- Never connect more than 3 strands of lights together.
- Use the proper ladder when hanging decorations.
- Keep candles away from the Christmas tree, curtains, and other flammable items.
- Decorating the fireplace mantle is festive, but be sure to avoid fire hazard if the fireplace is in use.
- Keep glass ornaments and plants like holly, poinsettia, and mistletoe out of reach of children and pets.
- Use food thermometers, defrost food safely in the fridge, and refrigerate leftovers promptly.
- Turn pot handles so they do not hang over the edge of the stove or use the back burner.
- Be in the kitchen if food is cooking. Do not leave it unattended.
- Keep batteries away from small children.
- Check the recommended age on toys and games and be sure there aren’t any choking hazards or other small pieces.
- Watching pets play with wrapping paper is fun but be sure they do not eat any paper or ribbon.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!